$15 off your first order with the code WELCOME15
Follow 73 fans
Maslives (41), France
Jo Ouisse aims to use his art to surprise, awaken (or reawaken) minds and depict a satirical portrait of the society in which we live. A painter, illustrator and graphic designer for over ten years, he himself defines his style as belonging to the “New Contemporary Art” movement, which combines street art and realism.
Jo Ouisse works in France and Budapest, where his partner lives. Rooted in hip hop culture and graffiti in particular, which he continues to practice legally, Ouisse favours the mediums of spray paint and acrylic on canvas. On generally very large format canvases, Jo Ouisse unleashes saturated colours to create artworks that are as astonishing to look at as they are to analyse.
Often surrealist and always satirical, inspired by current affairs, politics and ecology, Jo Ouisse depicts humankind in its ridiculous and vain attempts to exert complete control over its environment.
Like producers Kusturica and Fellini, who used burlesque as a subversive process to poke fun at dramatic intentions, Ouisse’s pieces are never black or pessimistic. In fact they are generally colourful, like the era in which they were created. Enthralled by Italian Renaissance painting since his childhood, his style is precise and the lighting is bold.
- 2006: High National Diploma in graphic design. EEGP, Angers
- 2002 - 2003: Preparatory year at the Ecole Supérieure des Beaux Arts d’Angers. ESBA, Angers
- 2002: Baccalauréat Littéraire option Arts Appliqués. Lycée Dessaignes, Blois.
- Spacejunk Art Center Bayonne (FR): 22 November - 12 January 2019.
- Spacejunk Art Center Lyon (FR): 24 January - 16 March 2019.
- Spacejunk Art Center Grenoble (FR): 29 March - 18 May 2019.
May 2016: realization of 3 monumental paintings for the Italian offices of vente-privée.com, Milan. IT
- October 2015 : Paloma Haz, Budapest. HU
- October 2013: Bertrand Garrigue Gallery, Tours. FR
- August 2012: Finta Muzeum, Turkeve. HU
- October 2011: Gyorffy Istvan Nagykun Muzeum, Karcag. HU
- February 2009: Gallery of the Tour Saint Aubin, Angers. FR
- December 2011: Casa Battlo, Barcelona. ES
- July 2011: The Bricklane Gallery, London. GB