Using a multitude of materials, db Waterman assembles and mixes techniques to compose scenes of life and landscapes. By choosing collage as her medium, she pushes its limits as she strives for artistic transparency.
db Waterman assembles original photographs, matching papers, acrylics, oil, charcoal, ink and pencil in her works. The variety of resources used is essential.
Getting into the technique of collage is a challenge for db Waterman since the lack of transparency is merciless. Finding a way to reproduce the effects of transparency that painting offers, in particular watercolors, is for this artist a "great victory". Her preparatory work is reflected in her collages. Layer after layer, the material remains visible in finished parts.
According to db Waterman, her work allows her to constantly reinvent herself. Having always loved the look of weathered walls coated in peeling paint and old posters, she resurrects that aesthetic with a crisp, sharp look.
The creative goal of her work is to "do something beautiful out of decay". Her paintings, which explore the dissonance between old and new materials, highlight dreamlike and melancholic images.
The years of db’s training as an artist were dedicated to the Academy of Art in Den Bosch, the Netherlands. Today, she considers herself self-taught, having developed her own style from the non-traditional medium of collage. Her work brings together a variety of materials in carefully crafted compositions that she is proud of their ability to tell stories.
- SoHo Gallery - Västerås, Sweden
- AGORA art gallery, New York
- Sonia Monti Gallery / Starting October 2020
- International collage exhibition (5 to 30 November), Espace Monet Rollinat, Fresselines, France
- Art Eindhoven, Klokgebouw Eindhoven (September), Netherlands
- The Corner Art Gallery, a joint photographic exhibition for Mahmoud Al Kurd (Palestinian artist) and DB Waterman, Jordan
- Octopus' Energy's billboard exhibition / 2500 Rentals Londen, United Kingdom
- Muriel Guepin Gallery, SoHo, New York
- International collage exhibition, Espace Monet Rollinat, France
Stanford University, California, USA
- The Hague Gallery, The Netherlands
- Business Art Service Nederland BV - Raamsdonksveer, The Netherlands
100 Days of Dutch Art, iShen Gallery, New Zealand