$15 off your first order with the code WELCOME15
PARIS (75), France
Mathieu Arfouillaud lives and works in Paris. He started painting in 2012. He followed a 3-year cycle in painting at the fine arts workshops of the city of Paris and obtained a degree in plastic arts (University Paris 1 - Panthéon Sorbonne). His painting explores the ordinary and harmless worlds of suburban or provincial pavilions and roadsides. The landscapes he paints are intended to be an ambivalent dialogue between reassuring homes and hostile forests, between abandoned peri-urban areas and protective nature.
This universe is divided into several series, pursued concurrently:
- "Gaste lands": (Meaning sterile lands, in Old French) A series of images of peri-urban landscapes, corroded by traces of paintings, abstract interventions in figuration.
- "I’m not..." Series of narrative canvases, conceived as scenery sets to be imagined.
- "Les Orishas": A more personal series, inspired by both family photos taken in the house of his great-grandmother and the Orishas, figures of Voodoo or Santeria.
- "The Scouts": The rainbows on grey skies of the series "The Scouts" are both childish by the imagination they summon and radical by the obsessive nature of their production and the absence of landscape elements.
- "Reserve": In this series, the reserves (parts of the canvas left unpainted) interfere in different ways with the landscape.
2015 : Licence d’Art Plastique (PARIS 1 PANTHEON-SORBONNE)
Group exhibition "Remotis silva" at the Museum of Fine Arts in Mons (Belgium) from 5 to 12 May 2019
Solo exhibition "Prismes" at the Galerie Bolide, Bordeaux, from September 22 to October 20, 2018
Group exhibition "Eté indien(s)" at Galerie E3, Arles, from 20 September to 23 September 2018
Solo exhibition "Réserves" at the Galerie de l’angle, Rue des Tournelles, Paris, from 27 to 29 October 2017
Solo exhibition "Riverains" at the Galerie de l’angle, Rue des Tournelles, Paris, from 1ier to 11 June 2017
Solo exhibition "Terres Gastes" at the "atelier" of the Peintres du Marais from 17 to 25 June 2016
Participation in the group exhibition of the Peintres du Marais at the Halle des Blancs-Manteaux from February 25 to March 6, 2016
Participation in a collective installation Les Amoureuses as part of Art Day on March 7, 2015