Born in 1961, Muriel Buthier-Chartrain has been painting mainly in watercolour since 1981. Since 1984 she has exhibited in France and abroad (Belgium, Sweden, Australia, China, Greece, Italy, Spain, Slovenia, Lithuania). Full-time professional painter, she has been teaching watercolour since 2014. Member of the Société Française de l’Aquarelle.
"Time for maturity, a lot of work for technical mastery: what it takes for a painter to finally find himself, to understand that he is no other source of inspiration than his own feelings, the most buried, the most secret.my work has evolved, slowly, naturally.
This was done, as it had to be done: more and more refined, going towards the abstract, but supported by a technique still in research, a technique essential to the development of its own writing. To express oneself, not to be a pale reflection of someone else, without worrying about trends is in my opinion the only way to a sincere and singular painting. It is in this spirit that I have been painting for many years, without concessions and with passion."
If Muriel Buthier-Chartrain also paints in oil and mixed techniques, it is in watercolour that she prefers to express myself. She practices pure watercolour: water and colours. For a little more than two years, she has been developing a technique to obtain texture effects that are not very common in watercolour. These textures are the result of the way colours are used according to the qualities of the pigments that compose them and the way they are worked on and combined. Her current work is the result of this research.
Self-taught professional artist
- Prix de la ville 2015 au salon de l'aquarelle du Haillan (33)
- Prix du jury aquarelle 2014 au salon de Précy-sur-Oise (60)
- Prix « sélection du jury » 2012 Biennale d'art contemporain La route du blé en Beauce (45)
- Prix de la municipalité de Gélainville cat.sous-verre 2012 au salon petits formats Bonville(28)
- Prix du jury 2011 au salon de l‘aquarelle de Belgique à Namur
(12ème biennale internationale : 200 peintres venus de 15 pays)
- Prix du public 2011 salon de Saint-Maxime (28)
- Prix de la route du blé 2011 au salon d’arts de Galladon (28)
- Prix de la ville de Chartres 2010 au salon formes et couleurs de Chartres (28)
- Prix du jury 2010 salon d’art contemporain de Bueil (27)
- Prix du jury 2009 au salon d’Ecublé (28)
- Mention du jury 2004 au Salon régional de l’Aquarelle de Montgermont (35)
- Primée dans divers salons de 1986 à 1992 (Caen, Chartres, Châteauneuf, Maintenon)